Reconciliation Action Plans (RAPS) provide a framework for organisations to realise their vision for reconciliation. A RAP is a practical plan of action that documents what an organisation commits to do to contribute to reconciliation in Australia. The RAP outlines actions that an organisation commits to implementing and measuring to build respectful relationships and create social change and economic opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Benefits of developing a RAP
A RAP gives your organisation the best chance of achieving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander engagement objectives, and delivering broader outcomes including:
- The opportunity to become an employer of choice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- A more dynamic, innovative and diverse workforce.
- A more culturally safe and tolerant workplace.
- Access to new markets and better penetration of existing markets.
- Better service delivery to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities.
- The opportunity to contribute to new projects, industries, services, products and ways of doing business.
Reconciliation Australia is an independent, national not-for-profit organisation promoting reconciliation by building relationships, respect and trust between the wider Australian community and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Through their programs and initiatives they work to connect people and organisations; provide frameworks for action, resources; and policy advice and promote success and engagement activities.
Reconciliation Australia support hundreds of organisations across Australia to participate in the RAP program. They will work with you to tailor a plan that suits your organisation's specific needs. They can provide advice, templates and resources as well as provide feedback on your draft RAP.