The vision for Family Matters Week of Action campaign is that all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people grow up safely in their home, receive a good education, and grow up healthy and proud of who they are.
The theme for the 2018 Family Matters National Week of Action is Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people on the frontline.
The campaign wants to address the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children being removed from their families.
In 2017, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children were 10.1 times more likely to be residing in the protection system than non-Indigenous children.
There are a range of things you can do to support the campaign.
- Encourage your staff to sign up to take action with the Family Matters pledge and further encourage their family and friend to support the campaign
- Send an email to your supporters that highlights the Family Matters National Week of Action and how you are hoping to address the issues
- Print and put Family Matters posters up in your office
- Hold a morning tea to promote the discussion and understanding of this issue. Use the Family Matters posters (1/2) to promote your event. Take a photo with our support sign and share on your social media with #WeBelieveFamilyMatters in your text.
- Make sure and tag Family Matters Facebook and @fam_matters_au on Twitter
- Host a cinema screening of the new feature documentary of After the Apology.